Australian Consulate-General

Information on Marriage

Information on Marriage

Requirements for marrying in China vary considerably between provincial marriage offices and authorities do not provide updated information to the Consulate-General. Please contact the marriage bureau in the city where you intend to marry to confirm their requirements.

Counter staff are unable to confirm or otherwise give advice regarding which documents may be required for marriage in a specific Chinese city or province.

Local marriage bureaus may require one or a combination of the following documents:

•  Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI)
This document is drawn up from a declaration made by the Australian citizen and confirms there is no impediment to marriage between the Australian and Chinese citizen. The applicant should produce original identification for both parties intending to be married. If either party has been married previously, original divorce certificates must be produced upon application for a CNI. The certificate is issued in English only. You may download a CNI application form here.

Australian Certificate of Single Status / Certificate of No Record
This document cannot be issued at the Australian Consulate-General and must be obtained from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state in which you are normally resident in Australia (online service may be available). This document indicates that you are not currently married according to the records held by Australian state authorities. The Australian Consulate-General can authenticate this document if required. The authentication is issued in English only.

A marriage that is performed in accordance with Chinese laws in China will be recognised by law in Australia, provided that the marriage would be recognised under Australian law.

Marriage in China (between two non-Chinese citizens)

From 1 April 2019, two non-Chinese citizens can no longer register their marriage in China.  This new regulation was published on 29 March 2019, and went into effect on 1 April 2019.  The details of this announcement can be found here (in Chinese only). 

Following your marriage, you will be issued with an official Chinese marriage certificate by the local marriage bureau. There is no requirement to register your marriage in Australia.


Taking your partner to Australia

All enquiries regarding Australian visas for a partner or spouse should be directed to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).